Insomnia can be frustrating and debilitating. Learn more about the symptoms, causes, and treatment options available to you
What is insomnia and what are the symptoms?
Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that can make it hard to fall asleep, stay asleep, or both. Individuals with insomnia often feel tired during the day and may have trouble concentrating or staying awake.
There are two main types of insomnia: primary and secondary.
- Primary insomnia is not caused by another health condition and typically lasts for a short period of time.
- Secondary insomnia is caused by another health condition, such as stress, anxiety, pain or shifting hormones due to menopause
Symptoms of insomnia can vary from person to person, but may include:
- trouble falling asleep
- waking up frequently during the night
- waking up early in the morning
- feeling unrested after a night of sleep.
Treatment for insomnia typically includes lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques. In some cases, medication may be prescribed. Typical conventional medications that are referred to as “Z-drugs” include ambien, Lunesta, or restoril. These drugs are indicated for short term treatment of insomnia. You may have heard stories of people driving or eating in bed when on these drugs. You typically don’t remember what you did while taking these drugs. They are not safe for long term use.
How cannabis and CBD can help fight insomnia
For many people, the word "cannabis" conjures up images of couch-locked stoners munching on Doritos and watching Netflix. But there's another side to cannabis that's gaining popularity among people who are looking for natural ways to combat insomnia.
- CBD, or cannabidiol, is a non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis that has been shown to help with sleep.
- THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the psychoactive compound that gets people high, but it can also help with sleep.
- Research has shown that both CBD and THC can be effective at treating insomnia. CBD is thought to work by reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation, while THC may help to increase drowsiness and reduce REM sleep as it binds to receptors in the brain that are responsible for inducing sleep.
The different ways to consume cannabis and CBD for sleep and the benefits of using plant medicine
There are many different ways to consume cannabis and CBD for sleep. CBD can be taken in pill form, as a tincture, or inhaled as vapor. THC can be smoked, eaten, or vaporized. And both can be used topically in the form of lotions or oils. There are even CBD bath bombs!
So which method is best? It really depends on the individual. Some people find that smoking or vaporizing THC helps them to fall asleep quickly and get a good night's rest. Others find that consuming CBD in pill form gives them the most consistent results. And still others find that using a topical CBD oil before bedtime helps to quiet their minds and ease them into a deep slumber. No matter how you choose to consume cannabis and CBD for sleep, make sure that you start with a low dose and increase slowly over time to find the perfect amount for you.
Both THC and CBD are effective at treating insomnia, and they can also help to improve the quality of your sleep. In addition, CBD is non-addictive and does not produce the same side effects as other sleep medications. If you're looking for a natural way to improve your sleep, cannabis and CBD may be worth considering.
How to find the right cannabis or CBD product for you
Trying to find the right cannabis or CBD product can feel like a daunting task. With so many different products on the market, it can be hard to know where to start. However, there are a few key factors that can help you narrow down your options and find the perfect product for your needs.
- First, consider what you want to use the cannabis or CBD for. Are you looking for relief from pain or anxiety because that is what interferes with your sleep? Are you struggling with hot flashes that cause you to wake several times a night? Once you know what you want to use it for, you can begin to narrow down your options.
- Next, take into account your preferred method of consumption. Do you want to smoke or vape? Or would you prefer to take a capsule or tincture?
- Finally, consider your budget. With so many different products on the market, there is sure to be something that fits your needs and budget. By taking these factors into account, you can be sure to find the perfect cannabis or CBD product for you.
So How Did that woman ditch her meds for cannabis?
I am that woman. I have had sleepless nights for years and years. It started with early onset menopause at age 36. I would have flashes at night and have to toss the covers back to cool off. Then the hormones shifting all around caused anxiety and restlessness and relationship issues. I would just lay there and my brain wouldn't shut down and sleep wouldn't come. Out of desperation, I finally saw my provider who gave me Ambien. Wonder drug!!!!!! I slept so good! Trouble is, I wouldn't remember anything at all the next day. Then I heard stories of people driving around on Ambien and nothing good comes out of that. I also heard stories of people eating and not remembering. The only evidence would be the chips all over the bed or half-eaten peanut butter sandwich smashed into the pillow. I didn't want that for me but I was literally terrified to not have it. I just kept going back to my provider for refills. Finally I decided enough was enough!!! I weaned off using essential oils like lavender and rutavala. And then I found cannabis! It has taken a minute to get the right dose but I have found what works! My sleep app proves it! I am so happy when I see that I only woke 1 time (had to pee) and was restless for only 10 minutes! It varies, obviously, but for the most part, I sleep like a baby with my cannabis and essential oils.
So how about you? Would you like someone to hold your hand and help you get a good night's sleep? Reach out if you would like that. I'm here to help!
Aromatherapy is such a unique approach to common concerns. Join me on the journey! Did you know I can customize a product specifically designed for you?Read more...